29 October 2010

When We Were Younger

When sisters and I were younger, we had rather peculiar way of savoring food that we deemed luxurious: SNACKS.


A packet of potato chips was luxury. Ferrero Rocher was luxury. Even a bottle of sparkling juice meant the whole world to us.

Yes, we were that easily satisfied.

And since mom and dad seldom pampered us girls with those, they were precious. Packets could only be torn open with the permission from eldest sis as she was the boss.

We would all squeeze ourselves on the living room sofa, fighting among each other to gain the seat closest to the boss, who would normally be holding the gold. Then the TV would be switched on and most of the time our eyes would be glued to the packet of chips rather than on the TV. We dived greedily into the chips and were normally told to eat slowly, preferably piece by piece. No, to be more precise, bite by bite. :D

Trust me, food actually tastes better eaten that way than having it gobbled down all at once. The squabbles and fighting with each other spice up and add flavor to the simplest things in life.

And for the daintily wrapped Ferrero Rocher? I would devour it layer by layer, starting from the crisp outer layer to the chocolate-filled center. By then I would be on cloud nine and starting to wonder why do happy times pass much faster than normal.


Old habits die hard. Up till 18, I still get the weird stares from friends whenever I indulge in my heavenly way of eating chocolate or snacks. Well, only my sisters understand. :)


No comments: