It was a stormy night, I could see the flashes of lightning and thunder could be heard. At that time, I was all alone at home. My parents had put on their best suit and evening gown to attend their friend's wedding dinner. It was really an auspicious event as best friend who have been through thick and thin with them all these long years were finally getting married!
- And so, I was left alone at home, enjoying the peacefulness and tranquility all by myself. My favourite music "Beautiful Girl" was playing while I was trying to finish off my school work. The soothing sound of drizzle outside danced beside my ears. As time passed by, the rain continued to fall with its tropical intensity, without showing any signs to stopping or to drawing breath.
Suddenly, a bolt of lightning flashed brilliantly illuminating the landscape and at the next moment, my whole house was pitch-dark. The music that was playing earlier was silent and the lights were dead. I was so shocked and scared because I did not know what to do. My tears almost ran down my cheeks when I remembered mommy's favourite line : "Big girls don't cry... ...". Her gentle voice played in my mind, calming down my frantic heart and soul.
After my eyes had adjusted to the darkness, I immediately searched for torch light and candles to light up the room. Just as I was searching frantically in the house, a sudden gust of wind blew and I heard the sound of footsteps drawing nearer and getting louder... ... The rustling of tree leaves made my imagination ran wild. Soon, goose pimples popped up on my arms and a cold chill ran down my spine. My heart was thumping so hard that I was afraid it would jump out of my chest.
Footsteps. Wind. Rustling leaves. Chilly. Spooky! I screamed at the top of my lungs when a pair of warm hands landed on my shoulder. I buried my face in my hands and dared not turn my back. The grip on my shoulder became tighter. I squirmed and wriggled and eventually, I relaxed.
"Dear, what's the matter?"
Wait! This gentle voice seemed very familiar. It was the voice that I have heard every morning, the voice that I have heard ever since I was a little baby, the voice of my dearest mommy! I quickly turned to hug her and soon burst into tears of relief. She cuddled me in her arms and lovingly stroked my hair.
"Big girls don't cry... ..."
P.S my mom still hugs me. XD
No comments:
Post a Comment